NSSF Contributions and eligibility for making claim

NSSF A logo of NSSF is seen on a building in Mbarara. Image credit: Eagle.co.ug.

Who is eligible to make NSSF contribution?

The NSSF Act requires employers who have 5 or more employees to pay contributions to the fund for his/her employees every month during which he/she pays salaries.

How much is the Employer mandated to contribute?

The employer must deduct 5% from the employees total gross monthly wage and add 10% to the gross monthly wage making a total contribution of 15% for each employee.

PS: Failure on the part of the employer to remit the deductions to the fund within the prescribed time is an offence.

These are the qualifying conditions that one has to meet to apply for their Benefits

Old age benefit

Paid to all contributing members who have reached the retirement age of 55 whether they are still in active employment or not.

It can also be paid to members on attaining the age of 50 years if they have been out of employment for a year.

Invalidity benefit

Paid to a member who has lost his/her earning capacity and has physical or mental incapacity, as verified by the NSSF Doctor.

Qualifying condition

Claimant must produce certified medical documents from a qualified Medical Doctor as well as prove that he/she has lost the earning capacity.

Survivors Benefit

Paid to the relatives (Spouse, children or dependent parents) of the deceased member who had been contributing to the Fund.

Qualifying Conditions

At the time of Death;

That the contributing person has left behind a widow/widower, children or dependent parents.

Emigration Grant

Paid to contributing members who have been working within the country and are leaving Uganda permanently. It covers both Ugandans and non-Ugandans who have been contributing to the Fund.

Proof that one is leaving the country permanently must be shown for one to qualify

Withdrawal Benefit

Exempted Employment

Paid to contributing members who join employment categories that are exempted i.e. have their own social protection schemes that are recognized under the existing law and are exempted from contributing to NSSF; e.g. the Police, Army, Prisons, Civil Service and Government Teaching service employees or members of any scheme who have received exemption from the Ministry in charge of Social Security.

Spread the love